This is not a surprise: in 2022, Facebook is still the most important social network in the world, with more than 2.8 billion users, while in France, we are more than 40 million to connect to the platform every month.
We will see in this article all the Facebook figures and statistics that matter to professionals in 2021, internationally and domestically.
Before getting to the heart of the matter, here is a reminder of the important dates that have marked the history of Facebook, since its creation in 2004, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and which will better contextualize the figures and statistics that follow.
- February 2004: Facebook (then called “thefacebook”) is founded by students Zuckerberg, Moskovitz, Saverin and Hughes.
- June 2004: Facebook moves its headquarters to Palo Alto, California.
- December 2004: Facebook reaches 1 million users.
- September 2005: Thefacebook drops the “the” to simply “Facebook”.
- October 2005: Facebook adds photos and goes international.
- July 2008: Launch of Facebook for iPhone.
- February 2009: The “Like” button is introduced.
- July 2010: Over 500 million users are active on Facebook.
- December 2011: Facebook unveils Timeline, its new interface.
- May 2012: Facebook goes public and raises $ 16 billion, which gives the company a value of $ 102.4 billion per share.
- September 2012: Facebook closes the purchase of Instagram.
- October 2012: the milestone of one billion active members is reached
- October 2012: The number of members reaches the billion mark.
- January 2013: Facebook unveils the Graph Search.
- February 2014: The acquisition of WhatsApp is announced.
- July 2016: There are now over a billion Messenger users per month.
- October 2016: Launch of Facebook Marketplace, which allows users to buy and sell products.
- April 2018: Marc Zuckerberg testifies before Congress about concerns about personal data breaches and privacy.
Facebook in the world
As we said in the introduction, Facebook has more than 2.80 billion monthly active users at the start of 2022, an increase of 12% compared to the Spain WhatsApp Number List month of June of 2020 (2.7 billion)
- Asia-Pacific: 1.199 billion
- Europe: 419 million
- North America: 258 million
- Rest of the world: 921 million
- France: 38 million
On the one-day scale, Facebook says that at the end of 2020, the platform had 1.845 billion daily active users, up 12% from the same period in 2019. And these users spend an average of 35 minutes per day. day on the social network platform created in the United States.
Among the other remarkable global statistics about Facebook is the number of people who use one of the Facebook group applications every day, be it Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp, or Facebook. It is estimated that in total, the different platforms have more than 2.6 billion active users every day and 3.3 billion active users per month at the start of 2021.
Which countries have the most Facebook users?
India comes first, with 290 million users, followed by the USA (190 million), Indonesia (140), Brazil (130), Mexico (89), the Philippines (76) and the Vietnam (64).
Where is China?
The American social network application is prohibited in the Middle Empire.
Age and gender
The majority of Facebook users are men, at 57%. Women therefore represent 43%.
In terms of age, we know that 25% of the audience is between 18 and 24 years old, 32% of users are between 25 and 34 years old, and 26% make up the age group that goes from 35 to 54 years old. .
It is therefore the 25-34 year-olds who are most present on the network.
Why do people use Facebook?
According to a source from Statista, the majority of users (88%) use the social media platform to stay in touch with friends and family, 33% are on Facebook for entertainment, 23% to receive information, to know the news, and 17% to follow brands or companies.
We also note that 11% of active Facebook users use the platform to strengthen their professional network.
Facebook, the company and its financial results
Facebook is present and well established in more than 70 cities and capitals around the world, in Europe, North America, Latin America, the Middle East, Asia-Pacific, and Africa. The platform is hosted by around fifteen data centers located in several countries around the world.
Around 60,000 employees work for Facebook on 5 continents at the start of 2021, an increase of 30% compared to the end of 2019.
Regarding the financial results of the company, its turnover amounted to some 85 billion dollars at the end of 2020, an increase of 22% compared to 2019 (70 billion dollars).
More specifically, the turnover of the American firm stood at 28 billion dollars for the 4th quarter of 2020, an increase of 33% compared to Q4 2019.
Interestingly, 97.9% of revenue is generated from advertising revenue.
The annual profit of Facebook, meanwhile, amounted to almost $ 30 billion at the end of fiscal 2020 against 18.4 billion in 2019. This represents an increase of 58%.
Facebook’s Q4 2020 profit is over $ 11 billion, up 53% from Q4 2019.